Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Why Are Some Things Sinful and Not Others?


I had a great conversation with one of my kids this month on why God calls some things sinful and some things not sinful. Some ideas that arose were:
-We all decide to draw a line on what we consider sin and what we don’t consider sin.
-From where do people choose to draw wisdom on where to draw this line?

Some observations on this topic:
-We often want to decide the line based on our own desires.
-We also want to decide the line based on societal pressures.
-We often draw it at the point where we believe we will no longer receive joy from a behavior.

Conclusions drawn:
-If one is a believer, we trust that God chooses the line based on the wisdom given in His Word. Romans 11:33–35 says, [33] Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! [34] “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” [35] “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”
-God can be trusted to make the “line decision” because He has shown His trustworthiness in saving me from my sin even when I didn’t deserve it. Romans 5:8 says, "but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
-I choose, by His grace, to let God draw that line from the Bible. He knows where I will find joy better than I do. Psalm 16:11 says, "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Choose wisely today,
Pastor Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment