Friday, January 20, 2017

Fool for Jesus


                                                            http://www.zazzle.com/fool_4_jesus_inspirational_t_shirt

There are two kinds of fools in the Bible. The first fool is found in Proverbs, and is characterized as one who lacks discernment, discipline, and is for the most part unteachable. From God’s perspective this person has no hope and is headed for trouble, difficulties, and eventual judgment. Proverbs admonishes us to do everything we can to avoid being labeled this kind of fool.

But there’s another kind of fool that God esteems. I’m speaking of the person that the world labels a “fool” because of their commitment to the Gospel.
I Corinthians 3:18, says this:
“Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.”

In other words, we have only two options in this life: to be wise by the wisdom of this age, or to become a fool in the eyes of this world by boasting in the cross of Christ. This is the kind of fool that I desire to be and that you should desire to be as well. 
As I consider this in the context of worship on Sundays, gathering with God’s people, being reminded again and again of God’s gracious work in my life, I realize I want to be a greater fool in the eyes of the world.  I am thankful to be a part of Bethany Community Church, a church that values the gospel, that treasures God’s Word, that cherishes Christ’s work of salvation. 
I want to be unconcerned about the applause of the world, and live alone for God’s glory.  And when unbelievers say I’m a fool for basing my entire life on the perfect life, atoning death, and victorious resurrection of Jesus Christ, I want to thank them with all my heart.
May each one of us be more of a fool in the eyes of men, so that we might be wise in the eyes of God, and so that Jesus Christ alone might receive glory through our lives.
Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment