Friday, November 4, 2016

What a Day That Will Be!





 “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.” I John 3:2-3  (NIV)

It was in early September of last year that my mom was diagnosed with cancer. We were told that it was not curable, but with aggressive treatment, there was a high percentage its harm could be minimized if not put into remission. Less than three months later, a year ago today, I said, “I love you” to my mom for the last time. She passed from this earthly life into eternity and met Jesus face to face. 

Today as I think about my mom, my heart is filled with sadness and joy. It is overwhelmed with sorrow and hope. It is filled with sadness because I think about the things I miss: talking on the phone with her as I drive to Peoria, hearing her laugh at my corny jokes, watching her interact with my kids like no one else, her unconditional love for her family. But my memory of her does not end with what I miss, for that would truly be sad and sorrowful. My heart is filled with joy and hope to know that my mom is with Jesus! She is in His very presence, the One who died to save her soul, the Jesus who lived a perfect life, endured the cross, rose to life victoriously over sin and death. She is with the same Jesus whom she served and testified of faithfully before others and before me.   

The greatest joy I find is that when I see my mom again, we will be in the presence of Jesus and we will worship Him forever! What a day that will be! May we all find joy in knowing that God loves us and provides eternal hope through faith in Jesus Christ. 

“You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” 
 Isaiah 26:3 (ESV)

“Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” Psalm 42:5 (ESV)




~ Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment