Friday, July 14, 2023

My Biggest Unplanned Lesson from Sabbatical

Our family was so blessed and felt so loved by BCC allowing us the privilege of stepping away from the ministry for a time of sabbatical! Going into that time Jennie and I each made some plans for things we'd like to do and get out of the time away. In spite of all this, one of the most important lessons I learned over sabbatical was not one I planned or even realized I needed.

As part of my time away I scheduled to meet with other leaders from various churches and ministries seeking to gain wisdom in how to advance the family discipleship culture of our church. During one of these meetings, a wise, older man encouraged me that one of, if not the best thing, I could bring back to BCC, even more than great new plans, was what God taught me over the time. I appreciated his input, but still being fairly early into the time away, didn't really know what that might look like or mean. A few weeks late the realization hit home very hard. Taking his advice, I want to make sure not to waste what I've been challenged with and am learning, so I desire to share it with you too.

About three weeks into our sabbatical, I couldn't place my finger on it, but I found myself disgruntled and unhappy. It felt like there was a lack of peace in our family and my relationship with both my wife and kids felt at odds. Still I was oblivious. One night, putting my son to sleep, as we lay in his bed together talking, having just fought what I perceived as another parenting battle, he said something along the lines of, "Daddy, sometimes it seems like you don't like us." Taken aback I quickly affirmed my deepest love for him and that "Daddy would always love him no matter what," but his words sat very heavy on my heart. Later that night I asked Jennie about it, hoping to brush it off as a child's midnight musing trying desperately to say something to stay up a bit longer. She was gracious, but did not ease by conscience encouraging me to process it more. So I went to bed that night with a heavy heart and racing mind. The next morning, I brought all these thoughts and the pain I felt at possibly causing my child pain to the Lord, having no further comfort or clarity from the night's sleep. In that time together the Lord started me on a path of far deeper realization about myself as well as my shepherding of my family. 

To finish reading this post by Pastor Phil, go HERE


 


No comments:

Post a Comment