Monday, January 14, 2019

What Peter Has To Say About Suffering




As my turn rolls around to post on the church blog, I thought I would share some of the emotions and thoughts that can easily come to mind when enduring hardship. Most of what has been/will be written comes from my own processing as I consider my diagnosis of an inherited retinal disease. My guess is that many of you can relate to these thoughts in the midst of struggle.

1) This is not fair!
God showed his grace to my family as we started reading 1 Peter together the morning before my diagnosis. The context of 1 Peter is dealing with those suffering from persecution, but the applications of suffering, I believe, can extend to other types of suffering beyond persecution. 

1 Peter 4:12-13 says:
[12] Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. [13] But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. (ESV)

We shouldn’t be surprised by trial in life. One could argue that we should be surprised when we are NOT going through trial. The effect of the fall of man upon the world and man is far reaching. Don’t think that it is not fair when experiencing trial. It is better to think that trial and suffering are expected and can be used for God’s glory—if only it means that one will grow closer to Jesus.

More soon…
Pastor Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment